The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has approved a second home-based Rapid Antigen Test kit developed by Abbott Rapid Diagnostics Division, Chicago. The self-testing kit named as PanBio COVID-19 Antigen Test Device has been given provisional approval till 5 July, 2021.
The Indian Council of Medical Research earlier had given its approval to the CoviSelf test kit developed by Pune-based Mylab Discovery Solutions which was priced at ₹250 per kit.
Advisory for COVID-19 Home Testing using Rapid Antigen Test
1. Home testing by RAT is advised only in symptomatic individuals and immediate contacts of laboratory confirmed positive cases.
2. Indiscriminate testing is not advised.
3.Home testing should be conducted as per the procedure described in the user manual.
4. The home testing mobile app is available in Google play Store and Apple store and must be downloaded by all users.
5. The mobile app is a comprehensive guide of the testing procedure and will provide a positive or negative test result to the patient.
6. All users are advised to click a picture of the test strip after completing the test procedure with the same mobile phone which has been used for downloading the mobile app and user registration.
7. Data in the app of your mobile phone will be centrally captured in a secure server which is connected with the ICMR COVID-19 testing portal, where all data will be eventually stored.
8. Patient confidentiality will be fully maintained.
9.All individuals who test positive may be considered as true positives and no repeat testing is required.
10. All test positive individuals are advised to follow home isolation and care as per the ICMR & Ministry of Health & Family Welfare (MoH&FW) protocol.
11. All symptomatic individuals who test negative by RAT should immediately get themselves tested by RT-PCR.This is especially important as the RATS are likely to miss few positive cases presenting with a low viral load.
12. All RAT negative symptomatic individuals may be treated as suspect COVID-19 cases and are advised to follow the ICMR/MOHFW home isolation protocol while awaiting the RT-PCR test result.
13. All results may be interpreted as per the protocol laid down by the manufacturer in the user manual.
14. Manufacturer's instructions must be strictly followed for disposal of the test kit, swab and other materials.